The Irish Garden Club
Your Subtitle text

Located along Superior Avenue in Cleveland, Ohio, the Irish Cultural Garden, originally designed by Donald Gray, is one of 24 gardens in Rockefeller Park.  Initial fundraising by the Irish Cultural Garden League began in 1933 and the completed garden was formally dedicated in 1939.  The garden's sandstone pathways are arranged in the shape of a Celtic cross.  A magnificent Oak remains from the 1930's and continues to shade the garden.  The original plantings included Irish blackthorn, used in the making of the shillelagh.  The Irish Cultural Garden has proudly been called the "greenest of the gardens." 

On October 3, 2009 the rededication of the Irish Cultural Garden took place.  New plantings include Maples, Hawthorns, Magnolias, Lilacs, Boxwood, Roses and a variety of colorful perennials.  The Writer's Recognition Court includes monuments for James Joyce, Edna O'Briwn, John Millington Synge, George Bernard Shaw, Sean O'Casey, Samuel Beckett and William Butler Yeats.  A musical performance was given by the The Pipes and Drums of The Cleveland Police.  Speakers for the rededication included Edward F. Crawford, Founder of The Irish Garden Club, Father James O'Donnell, City of Cleveland Council President Martin J. Sweeney and the Dean of the College of Business, Public Policy and Law at Galway University Dr. William Golden.

On October 30, 2010 a replica of the fountain currently located at St. Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin was installed and dedicated at the Irish Cultural Garden.  The Lennon Fountain was dedicated in loving memory of Fred A. Lennon (1905-1998).


Website Builder